Sunday, October 18, 2009

iPhone for art

I've been evaluating all of the more expensive drawing applications on the iPhone and honestly, most are just glorifed sketch apps that are only worth .99 cents, but three really stood out and have actually been fun to draw in.



To truely be productive I found myself using three apps. Each tool has it's weakness, but using the three made these issues less important.

The three applications that are the best in my opinion are SketchBook, PhotoForge, and Photogene. SketchBook has a gallery for your work and really nice brushes. The interface is also really good.

PhotoForge is more of a photo editor, but it does have a smudge tool for blending, clone stamp, and nice color tools and filters.

Photogene is another photo editor and it let's you place text and borders with a lot of flexability and options.

Inspire would have made it, but the brush strokes are blocky to me, but given time this may end up being my favorite.

In my screen shot there are two apps missing, one is Petite Peinture and the other is ZeusDraw. Petite Peinture I have tried and it worked ok, it was also a little blocky like Inspire and the interface simply didn't work for me. It's also a little cheaper than the rest. Most of these apps are $4.99 this one is $1.99. Of course that can change at anytime.

Zeusdraw is $10.00! Considering my luck with all these apps, I'm just not willing to sink $10.00 into it. If you have, feel free to weight in.

One last tool for the mobile artist that is just a must have. Drawing with the finger is tedious and a pain in the ass really, and I have small hands! There is a stylus, called the Pogo, for the iPhone/Touch and I recommend it as it's not to expensive and it gives you a little more control over your drawings. You can get it here.

I leave you with a little ten second sketch done in SketchBook...

No comments:

Post a Comment